Re: [OM] Om4-ti wind problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Om4-ti wind problems
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:10:09 -0700
Sounds like you may have put your finger on the problem already. You could test it by putting the camera in a freezer and seeing if the rewind button tends to stick down when it is cold. If your temp est is about right, a good freezer should get about there.

One way to make sure you know it is happening is the same one proposed every time someone loses a roll by not making sure it is winding properly. Rewind any slack out and then watch the rewind crank when you advance the film to make sure it moves - especially when taking those 'once in a lifetime' shots.

The OM-4 series isn't really renowned as a cold weather camera. Big problem is batteries that don't perform well cold. Many listees who live where it gets really cold (much colder than -15C) switch to the all mechanical OM-1 or 3 bodies for the real cold weather stuff. Oly even made a cold weather adapter that keeps the batteries in one's pocket and powers the camera through a wire. Very rare item. A lot of the lubricants dry out and stiffen up with age. Add serious cold and they may just not work at all, so another thing to consider is a CLA. You could let the repair person know cold weather will be in the camera's future. The OM-4Ti 'Crash Test' <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/crash-test.txt> shows how a new 4Ti performed, but says nothing about how an older one without CLA will perform in cold.

Moose

Adam Long wrote:

I recently changed films with my OM4ti on top of a mountain in patagonia. <snip>
Anyway when I got the film back there were only 29 shots out of 36, the first 8 or so being
superimposed. <snip> My best guess is the rewind button stuck down for some reason -
maybe thick/sticky lubricant?