RE: [OM] Best girlfriend in the world?

Subject: RE: [OM] Best girlfriend in the world?
From: Alan Wood <alan.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:01:28 +0100
Albert wrote:

> For Chinese families, the marriage isn't for the
> two of us (you'd be silly to think so) the wedding
> is for the rest of the neighborhood.. to see..

I hope you will be better prepared than I was for my Chinese wedding, held
in Thailand.  It was great fun, but there were several things I was not
prepared for:
* buying my way in through a golden gate (my pockets were empty, so I had to
borrow some money);
* putting the ring on my bride's finger while she was wearing a lace glove
(struggled for a few minutes, but managed it);
* inviting each guest to drink tea, in Chinese (sit char?);
* giving out red envelopes to the relatives who were younger than us (had to
send someone out to buy envelopes at 7.30 in the morning, and borrow some
more money to put in them);
* not getting to eat the multi-course meal at the reception, because we were
going round to be photographed at each table.

Alan Wood