Re: [OM] How many shots do you take?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many shots do you take?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:30:22 -0300
on 25/06/2003 19:46, Daniel Mitchell at danmitchell@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm curious -- how many shots are the other people here taking, and of
> what?
I take a photograph when perceive a composition, and in the mood to be there
at a certain time (light).  Cuantitatively speaking, this makes about 6
exposures to make one photograph.
Sometimes (not rarely) get one on first attempt.
I find a theme worth to picture maybe once a month, but this list has
accelerated me a bit.
Not so sure that once you start paying attention... as another listee quotes
in his signature. There should be something else.

> There's a lot of discussion of equipment and food and suchlike here, but
> other than the TOPEs and the occasional test image, there's not all that
> many actual shots being posted, given the number of people discussing
> things -- are people photographing stuff but not putting it on web sites, or
> just not being as film-happy as I've been, or something else entirely?
There are some economic issues that limit my investment in photography and
its interface with web publishing. Besides I am not a professional
photographer. And perhaps too critical at the moment of deciding to show my
work. I recently selected 9 photographs since I have my 2 (1981), planning
to scan and burn a CD.

> Maybe
> it's just familiarity with the surroundings -- I certainly didn't burn film
> so fast back in Calgary, but even then I was still trying to shoot things
> reasonably often just to keep my eye in.
Quite agree on keeping one's eye in.
New visual perceptions make more compositions, it is a good exercise to find
them on familiar surroundings - but paying attention by itself doesn't seem
to be enough. You can *create* an image, taking into account several
factors. Some Foucault wrote something interesting I can't recall now...

> -- dan
Fernando.

PS good post, Dan.