[OM] Need advice on shooting under fluorescents

Subject: [OM] Need advice on shooting under fluorescents
From: "Gary M. Teller" <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:56:31 -0400
Hi all,

I've been asked to shoot the interior of a small (12'x 17') gift shop that is lit by 2x2 fluorescent fixtures (I'm guessing standard cool white bulbs) flush mounted with the ceiling tiles. The shop is located within a building so there is no outside light. The walls are lined with glass shelves stocked with lots of colorful glass, ceramic, metal and cello wrapped items that all reflect light. One set of shelves is mounted in front of large plate glass. In the center of the shop are glass cubes holding the same type of merchandise. I'd like to capture the beauty of the merchandise with minimal reflection from all that glass shelving.

The shop's owner has told me she wants the photos for her personal use and not for sales, marketing, publication or anything of the like. At this point I'm thinking I'll need a 28mm and 50mm lens and tripod to go with my OM-1n. What I need to know is:

1. Will an FL-D filter minimize enough of the greenish look fluorescents give off or should I use
    a different filter?

2. Which color print film would work best for this shoot? I normally shoot outdoors with Kodak Gold
    100.

3. Would bouncing a flash off the ceiling tiles (they're the typical ones--kinda off white with flat
    finish and lots of decorative gouges in them) be of much help.

4. Regarding the shelves mounted in front of plate glass: I've been asked to take photos from the outside which is in a low lighting lobby like area. Most of the merchandise on these shelves faces out and, to my eye, looks to be somewhat in the dark with a brightly lit shop behind it. There is enough light in the lobby to allow for reflection off the plate glass.

Help!  All suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary