RE: [OM] Travel to Oshkosh (Air Venture 2003)

Subject: RE: [OM] Travel to Oshkosh (Air Venture 2003)
From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:39:02 -0500
Here are carryon restrictions for many airlines.  Sounds like the Pelican is
9 inches too big, Mike.

<http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/spawn.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1178243719.1056421
580@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcijedgjfecgencfhjdfjmdhfk.0&urlLink=http://www.tra
velsmith.com/travel_smith/lugres.htm>

I always carry my 400/4 on with me and will when I leave for Duxford next
week.  Don't know what I'd do if I was also taking a 600.  The pros do check
'em, but they are insured and if the lens gets clobbered, n*k*n or c*n*n
professional service will ship them a loaner/rental the next day.  Doesn't
help us as I believe Olympus discontinued professional support quite a while
ago.  It is one of the reasons almost no pros still shoot OM.

As far as rights for hand check of film, as I've noted a couple of times,
you have an absolute right to a hand check - in THE USA.  Let me know if you
want a copy of the applicable FAR section (Federal Aviation Regulations) to
carry with you.  I have never been denied, but I always smile and ask
politely.  Federalized inspectors (TSA) are much better generally than the
airlines' contractors were.

Gary Edwards

www.peopleplacesflight.com