[OM] Travel to Oshkosh (Air Venture 2003)

Subject: [OM] Travel to Oshkosh (Air Venture 2003)
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:21:17 -0700
Well it almost feels real now,

I have made the plane and rental car reservations, my brother has the rooms and air show tickets taken care of.

The only question left is how to get my cameras and lenses to Wisconsin. As of now I have all of the long lenses (400mm f 4.5, 400mm f 5.6 and 600mm f8 Novoflex) packed in the Pelican case (25" x 20" x 9")with my clothes. But with the new rules about not locking checked bags and the near lethal doses it is exposed (pun intended) I don't think it will qualify as carry on. What is the "best" way to get the Pelican to Wisconsin? UPS? FedEx?

The cameras and short glass will come with me as one carry on. What "Rights" do I have with regard to haveing the cameras avoid the X-ray machine. I know the trick of keeping the film in a baggie wihtout the containers and 1600 speed film.

If anyone is so inclined, we will be there from the evening of July 29th to sometime around lunch of August 2nd. We are flying into Milwaulkee and driving up to Oshkosh from there. I may even have a spare seat in the car if anybody is interested. We will be staying in the Lawrence University of Wisconsin Dorms again, $50 a night is tough to beat. But if there is a public pool near there it may be the difference between life and death for those of us not used to the summer in the Midwest (I still don't know how it can be called the Midwest when it is at least 1000 miles closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Pacific).

Thanks,

Mike Butler
Dublin, California