Re: [OM] Shooting America Cup Yachts Racing In San Fran

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting America Cup Yachts Racing In San Fran
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:26:02 -0600
> Damn it Dan, you take all the fun out of it, maybe i should go shoot
> the nascar race instead!  ;-)

 Nah, boat racing is cool, even if just for the atmosphere of it all. We
knew nothing about the race when we went out (and not a whole lot more when
we came back) but it's still about the feel of it as much as the spectacle.

> Ok, so i have a 500/8, a 2x, and a tripod, if i can see anything
> through the viewfinder at that point...  how on earth did you take
> photos from a boat with a 500/8 2x combination?  I have enough
> trouble getting decent shots from the ferry using a 35-105/3.5!

 Actually, now I re-check the prints, I may have been overly pessimistic
before -- there's some decent frame-filling ones of the yachts in there, so
it _is_ possible to get decent results. I'll get them scanned in in a bit
and upload them so you can see.

 Hand-holding with 500 + 2x, I leaed on the windowframe of the boat we were
on as it went back to shore, set the speed to 1/1000th and prayed. At that
point, it's cropping/focus that's the problem as much as it is hand
stability -- neither the boat I was on nor the one I was shooting was
exactly static..

> Any idea of the closest land point then?  Fort baker looks like it
> might almost be the closest point  from their map, though not much
> closer than the turn in sausalito...

 Well, here in Auckland, you wouldn't see anything from land, it was way off
in the Haruaki gulf.  I don't know much about the geography of SF -- a quick
search comes up with a lot of different yachting events in SF, all of which
have 'Cup' or 'America's' in the title.. which one am I looking for?

 Given the choice, I'd go for somewhere next to a turn rather than just the
absolute closest point, because the turns are where the most action is --
they'll be tacking back and forth between the points, but if you want to get
both the boats in shot at once, the turn's definitely the place to be.
Another good location would be around the starting line; assuming they have
the same rules as they did here, that's where they spend a lot of time
jockeying for position before the start, so again you have a decent amount
of time to get shots.

 -- dan