RE: [OM] Severe blasphemy

Subject: RE: [OM] Severe blasphemy
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:47:06 +0100
I have over the years used Zenit SLRs extensively, handled and nearly-bought
quite a range of other Russian equipment covering your alternatives (and
more), and also used OM, M645 and a British Leica-thread rangefinder (though
not Leica).  I can't encourage you to go this way.

Yes, I thought about using ultra-wide angles on a rangefinder - they are $$$
for OM, yet there are a couple of good value Russian lenses (if you can find
them).  But I came to my senses when I realised that framing without SLR is
hit and miss, the more so with ultra-wides, and that if I factored in the
additional cost of the LTM body to the cost of the ultrawide, I could
equally get an ultra-wide for the OM.  So I did - Tamron 17mm.

Yes, I also use M645 - it was going for a price I *could* not refuse (WLF
and TTL prism, 80mm and 150mm lenses, less than US$50).  It is beautifully
made, and a pleasure to handle, but it is a very different style of
photography.  AND, having ventured $50 on it, I am mighty glad I did not
succumb to the temptation to spend $500 on a new Kiev 88 that I saw for sale
in Tashkent (!) five years ago. It was a good price, but for a camera that I
(and you) know had been manufactured in an environment where quality control
was absent, because the usual market mechanisms to reward good quality and
'punish' bad quality were also absent.  OK, by all means go for a
re-manufactured Hartblei to answer those issues - but you are still left
with a camera reverse engineered from a 1950s Hasselbl*d.  They may well be
good value for money, with core competenices like shutter speeds and lens
operation ironed out, BUT the non-core competencies like quality of finish,
ergonomics, and just 'feel' are just nowhere near what OM provides, and
these ARE important.  As well as the disadvantages you have pointed out.

Do not assume that I am just 'anti' ex-Soviet stuff, far from it (for just
the same reasons as you, by the way) and if you want to see some oddities, I
can even suggest where to go in Moscow. But it *will* get you into serious
trouble.  I am just not sure that blasphemy is the word Andrew - you're not
related to Myshkin, by any chance?

Piers