Re: [OM] 80-200/2.8 Tamron

Subject: Re: [OM] 80-200/2.8 Tamron
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:01:37 -0700
Skip Williams wrote:

As others have said, this is one of the jewels of the third-party lenses
available for the OM's.  Along with the Tokina

You have the Tokina too? How have they compared optically for you? I've not seen any difference, but haven't done any head to head comparisons. You might have some opinions on C.H.'s post?

, the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses, despite it's weight
and size.  It's usually cheaper and MUCH easier to find than the Tokina due to
the Adaptall mount.

I agree that the Tamron is a lot more common, particularly since the adaptall means any one ever made will fit Oly. I paid a lot more for the Tamron than for the Tokina. I bought the Tamron early in my internet byuing experience and paid top $ for a lens in great shape. I later kept a long, patient lookout for the Tokina and eventually got one off the 'Bay for $165, complete with box, hood, tripod mount and instructions in a little better cosmetic shape than the Tamron. I've since seen better deals on the Tamron than I took, but never quite as good as the Tokina.

They can get zoom creep as the lubricant dries out, which requires a service.

Or just living with it :-)

Moose