Re: [OM] Tamron 90/2.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 90/2.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:13:51 -0700
For a test of the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8, look at Gary's test site <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm> and compare it to the better fixed focal length lenses in the lengths at which it was tested. It is likely the best lens in that focal range ever made and better than many fixed fl lenses in its range. It is very solidly made, including the metal bayonet hood. The price for all this and the constant f2.8 aperture is size and weight.

So it's a killer lens, what are the downsides? With adaptall mount and hood, it weighs 1,510 g (3 lb 5 oz.), has a minimum length of 179 mm (7 in.) and diameter of 82 mm (3.23 in.). It is hand holdable to some, but not by me for any length of time. I'm not really comfortable without at least a monopod. Close focus is limited, at 1.8 m (6 ft.). The tripod mount is fine if you treat it well. It has some slight flex in its structure, which can easily lead one to overtighten teh mounting bolt and some people have actually broken them this way. Both tripod mount and hood are NLA and hard to find, so I wouldn't buy one without them. It is possible, according to a listee, to adapt the Oly tripod mount from the 300/4.5 to fit it fairly easily.

A less common alternative is the Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8. Optically just a small notch below the Tamron in Gary's tests, it is just a hair smaller but a whopping 23 0ghter. It has a far better and less obtrusive tripod mount. Build quaity of the lens is excellent. It's hood is plastic and flimsier than the Tamron, but a lot lighter.

Moose

daniel wrote:

Anyone know how the 80-200 2.8 tamron is?
Dan