Re: [OM] Taking pictures at an air show

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking pictures at an air show
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:45:27 -0400
Cc: o.greve@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 6/17/2003 3:43:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I think that you will either be carrying two lenses and have an
> enjoyable stay with time to photograph and watch -- or you will be
> too exhausted from your heavy bag and your constantly changing lenses
> to get any pictures taken and to enjoy yourself. I know
> that's how it
> usually works out for me, at least.

I have to agree with Thomas here. Unless you have help carrying all that stuff,
you want to pack lighter. The 35-80 and 300 would probably be a good
combination. I've never tried the 300 at an air show, but I might this year.
I've always used a tele zoom (65-200, or, before I had the Zuiko, a Vivitar
70-205). With the planes often moving so rapidly I think you might get more
shots better framed with the zoom.

If you can get there early the 24 is very nice for the static displays on the
ground. Once the crowd starts to build you'll start getting people in all your
shots, though. Not necessarily a bad thing, but hard to control composition.
One year I got there early enough and was able to park close, so I took the
24/2 and a 35-70, shot the static displays, then returned to the car and got
the 65-200 and shot the performances with just that. Much less tiring than
carrying all that stuff around!

Take fewer lenses, and pack more film! Make sure you have a spare body as well,
even if it's just in the car for emergencies.

Paul Schings