[OM] ( OM ) Back on the list!

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Back on the list!
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:10:48 +0200
Hi Brian and hi everybody on the list,

I am back from Brian Swale's beautiful and sometimes puzzling country after
spending three months there. I recognized his images at once, in particular the
Purau Bay and the Botanical Garden in Christchurch. Especially the bay seen
from Evans pass, which must be among Brians favourite photo sites.

Brian, thanks many times for taking us to these places and some more when we
visited Christchurch on our two weeks trip zig-zagging the South Island.
Meeting you has been quite special and we have learnt a lot that day. It has
been quite special to meet someone from this list as a real person (OK I have
met Thomas Heide Clausen, but that was here in Aalborg).

>From Christchurch we went across the Southern Alps to Franz Josef Glacier,
>further to Queenstown, Te Anau and Invercargill in the far South. It was
>really phantastic to end the time in NZ with such a trip that brought us to
>parts of the country we did not expect to see.

Most of the time in NZ I spent working at the New Zealand Forest Research
Institute Ltd., scoping the possibilities of using GIS for resource-economical
analysis of the biomass to energy cycle (paper can be forwarded on request...).
In the weekends my girlfriend Eva and I travelled to many places on the North
Island, enjoying the Toyota Corolla that came with our rented house and the
cheap fuel prices. Of course we took a lot of photos. I have just finished
framing the 9 rolls of slide film, and burnt the 600 or so shots from the C5050
onto a CD. Eva has another 7 or so rolls from her beloved Min*lta X700.

I found the digital camera to difficult to work with in high contrast (of which
there is a lot in NZ). Slides on Provia work much better. But still a lot of
snapshots and lowlight shots worked out great with that digital beast.

And I should have brought the 75-150/4 instead of sharing the plastic Tamron
70-210 with Eva. That lens is just not sharp and contrasty and all shots look
like shot through a softener. Otherwise the 24/2.8 was my favourite lens. The
35-70 3.5-4.5 was used a lot as well. Together they all traveled safely in my
LowePro Nova 1.

And yes, we have put a few pictures on a homepage, but one that never really
got finished. Also, the page was meant for family and friends so it is only in
German and Danish language. The image titles are in English, though:

http://www.i4.auc.dk/berndm/nz2/nz.htm and click on "Deutsch" for the more
extensive German site and on "Dansk" for a few less pictures with Danish
subtitles. I will add some more language options and pictures once I have the
time.

Great to be back,

Bernd