Re: [OM] HELP!! Am I screwed for my trip?

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP!! Am I screwed for my trip?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:43:20 -0700
The advice about further cleaning and rinsing in distilled water and making sure it is properly seated in the camera is all good and I hope it works. I've cleaned screens and never had the problem you describe. Although the fine fresnel lines are delicate, the screen is conceptually just a piece of plastic that needs to be clean and sitting in the right place. If you have handled it roughly (and it doesn't take much!) and damaged the tiny circular prisms molded into the flat, bottom side of the plastic, it is not repairable and must be replaced.

In future, try blowing dust away with air from a can or one of those little rubber bulb with soft brush gadgets sold for cleaning dust off of lenses. Wet cleaning and all the handling of a screen should be a last resort. Nothing that isn't really really soft and gentle should ever touch either side, and especially the flat side.

Now I know what you should do with some of that money saved up for a 50/2 or Fuji 6x9. Get a second body. Anybody as involved with their photography as you needs a back-up camera body. Since you are remote from Oly repair facilities, you should get one that has been CLAed recently or maybe buy a US one and have it shipped directly to John or Clint, who can fix it up and send it on to you. If you don't like carryig around something you aren't using, put different film in each body. Fast and slow, low and high contrast, slide and print, B&W and color; think of the expanded possibilities when you don't have to finish a roll to do somtehing different!

Moose

Albert wrote:

So I'm trying to clean the dust off my OM in preparation for my trip IN TWO DAYS..

And I pop the focus screen out, and see if that's what is dirty.. Well, I (for some god unknown reason) try to clean it. And now it's very dark and cloudy! Warm water and soap! I thought that was suppose to do the trick, no??

Anything I can do now to to salvage the situation?? PLEASE don't tell me I'm going to be OM'less for my trip!

And no, I'm just about the only person in Taiwan with an OM.. I can't find another screen!! Why do I do this to myself!!