Re: Re: [OM] Not buying OM (stir, stir)

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Not buying OM (stir, stir)
From: mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:41:02 -0700 (PDT)
It sounds as though ebay worked great for you and that now you have the
majority of the equipment you need and ebay no longer serves the same function.

I, too, fondly remember the good old days back in 1998 (my id is markkronquist)
when you could find Liecas and Hassleblads misspelled and poorly organized for
a song.

I recently sold off my large collection of Pentax SM gear assembled bit by bit
and wanted to find some OM gear to shoot with. At any given moment, stores in
the west have perhaps 250 cameras of mine for sale...still, the place I went
first for a couple user OM1 black bodies was...ebay.

ebay is the great leveller. The very existence of ebay means that if you REALLY
want a 90mm f2 Macro (lovely lens by the way far and away the favorite Zuiko I
ever owned) at 11PM on Sunday, chances are you will find one...

That said local dealers like Jim at Citizens Photo 503 232 8501 Jake at Blue
Moon Camera 503 978 0333, Joe at Suburban Photo 503 643 6651, Russ at Tymers
360 696 0859, all deserve our support and often beat ebay prices.

Mark

> Thanks Walt, you haven't stirred the pot much lately. Also, your
experience very much parallels my own, so I enjoyed it.

Walt Wayman wrote:

>Once upon a time, I would check the Bay a couple of times a day
>trolling for OM goodies.  Nowadays, I visit only a couple of times
>a week, and rarely even put anything on my watch list, much less
>bid on something.  Everything seems to fall into one of these
>three categories:

I started in the same way, but ended up differently. I hardly ever just
page through the Oly goodies, but set watches and check what they turn
up until the right thing/deal turns up. I've been slightly interested in
the T18 flash for some time for casual people gathering shots, its
smaller size and weight, yet with greater lens to flash distance to
reduce red-eye, seems like a great companion to an OMPC and
35-70/3.5-4.5. After many months of 'browsing', one turned up on my
doorstep yesterday with only subtle marks of use and working perfectly
for $13.75, including shipping. Outside the direct OM realm, but to be
used with them, are the Weston Invercones. Lots of patience landed 2 of
them on my doorstep today for a total of $15.00, including shipping from
Australia. Seems one of the advantages of having most of the big stuff I
want is that the thrills are still there, but cheaper. :-)

>1.  I've already got one (or two, or more).  This is a BIG category.

Oh lordy yes!

>2.  Not interested, don't want it, wouldn't use it if I had it.
>This includes the OM-2's (a 2 is just a 1 whose development got
>retarded halfway to becoming a 4 :-), fisheye lenses (never have
>liked that perspective), slow zooms (get a real lens), cases, and
>any number of other things that there's absolutely nothing wrong
>with but that I just don't have any desire to own or use.

My list is pretty much the same. I like having cases for the good
lenses, but not cameras. Other things on my list are the 40/2, the
OM-2S,  OM-10, OM-30(F) and the autofocus bodies. I have to reluctantly
agree about the 2(n). I loved mine and used it as my primary camera for
many years, but it doesn't get to play since the 4s and PCs arrived.
Things in this category do change, though. I never had any use for a
bellows. But I really like the 135/4.5 and the 65-116 just doesn't go
quite close enough... Oops, there goes another addition.

>3.  Things that cost way more than they're worth, at least way
>more than they're worth to me.  This includes the big whites, the
>OM-3Ti (I've got a 3 I rarely use), the 24 shift (I've got the
>35), and the 90/2 Zuiko macro (I've got every other Zuiko macro
>and a 90/2.8 Tamron 1:1 macro, plus the 100/2 Zuiko, so I've been
>managing to squeak by without this alleged treasure).  Nearly
>everything in this category will be mine when I win the lottery,
>and then I will haul it all around in one of my Hummers.

Pretty much my list too. I'd add the 20 and 38mm macro lenses. The big
whites seem so nice, but I wonder how often I would actually haul them
around with me, so maybe they belong in category 2. Same uncertainty
about the 3 series.