Re: [OM] everybody loves a shift lens...

Subject: Re: [OM] everybody loves a shift lens...
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:36:21 -0700
Good afternoon Dan,

I think the comment made that a 35 mm shift lens is similar to 35mm
medium format lens is a good one.

Basically if you took a picture with a medium format camera with a 35mm
lens (which is a very wide angle for medium format) you could cut any
24mm by 36mm section out of the negative/transparency, you would get
what the 35mm shift lens gives.

This comparison doesn't make it very clear why you would want to do
that.

The reason why you want to is that you can keep the film parallel to
straight lines while you take the picture. The straight lines will
remain parallel to the edges of the film even though you might be
looking up, down, or towards either side.

It also provides the ability to position the film so that straight lines
appear diagonally in better positions.

-jeff