Re: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:11:44 -0700
The 50/3.5 is an very good lens in general and just excellent for flat field copy work. I don't particularly like it for outdoor close-up/macro work for a couple of reasons. First, the working distance is just too close for comfort for me. Second, its bokeh is generally poorer than other, longer fl lenses I have.

A 25mm extension tube will pick up at 1:2, where the built-in focusing stops, and continue through 1:1, thus giving complete coverage from infinity to 1:1 with one lens and one tube. Depending on what magnification range you like, a shorter tube may cover everything in the flower range with one combo. Personally, I very seldom use 1:1 and often find 1:2 inadequate, so I would probably find something like a 14mm pretty general purpose for flower pics. Get auto tube(s) unless you have superhuman patience and concentration. By this time, this is old memory and theory for me, as I mostly use the 135/4.5 and Kiron 105/2.8 1:1 macro.

As a 50mm lens faster than f5.6, any of the standard focusing screens are appropriate. choices between them tend to be personal preferrence. The varimagni magnifies the viewfinder image. If that helps your focussing, it can be useful. It can also help with steadiness with lighter tripods, as less extension is needed.

Moose

Andy Gilbert wrote:

A few questions now: 1) Is it worth buying extension tubes as well (Zuiko),
is a set helpful or is one particular size of most use?  2) What other
subjects should I try, other than flowers (though I would prefer to keep it
simple & not use flash-unless someone can persuade me otherwise!) 3) What is
the best focussing screen to use, & would the varimagnifinder help-I do have
one.