[OM] 50/3.5 Macro

Subject: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 01:02:15 +0100
I've just got one of the above for a good price, for the UK anyway.  It's
more of a user lens, but glass is good.  I've never done Macro before, so
would appreciate any tips, books to read etc.  So far I've gone round our
garden & taken shots of most of the flowers my wife has recently planted.
Film needs developing yet but I've learnt a few things:  1) Watch your own
shadow, it can ruin the shot!  2) A tripod would help!  3) I'm having
trouble focussing.  4) The wind is a pain, but an assistant can be used to
hold the subject still!  4) I think I could get to like this, it's a whole
new perspective.  5) I'll probably carry this lens a lot as it does 2 jobs,
the only drawback is it's a bit slow for me, and difficult to focus.
 A few questions now: 1) Is it worth buying extension tubes as well (Zuiko),
is a set helpful or is one particular size of most use?  2) What other
subjects should I try, other than flowers (though I would prefer to keep it
simple & not use flash-unless someone can persuade me otherwise!) 3) What is
the best focussing screen to use, & would the varimagnifinder help-I do have
one.
  Feel free to direct me to any shots on your websites.  I've looked at the
TOPE entries.  Thanks in anticipation.

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon