[OM] Bought a Velbon 343 Tripod

Subject: [OM] Bought a Velbon 343 Tripod
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:02:28 +0800
Well..

I needed something small and light to take with me to Thailand next week, and ended up buying the Velbon..

It's not too bad, (if it holds up) but Velbon says there's a lifetime warantee on it, so we'll see.

But It was suppose to be about $80. ($3000NT) The sticker said $2850. So I asked the man, how much, and he sticker looked a little bit rubbed, and so I guess he assumed that the 2 was a 1, and so he said "$1850". I said can you make it any cheaper? So he said "$1800". I asked him, are you SURE about that price? He said yet. So I bought it. That's about $52US. Not too bad. He went to the back and got me a new one from the stockroom. On it, the sticker said in big bold letters "$2850". Hmm. I asked "Are you SURE about this price?" he said yes. I gave him the money, and so I now have a Velbon for $52US. Not too bad. It FEELS cheap, but is actually quite sturdy.

I'm wondering, should I just have the center column down all the way, or should I raise it about 6", and grip it with my left hand and press downwards? Which would be sturdier?

I'll let you know from the pics, if it's a decent tripod or not.. I doubt it will compare with my friend's Bogen that I always borrow, but we'll see..

Albert