Re: [OM] RE: Boris' adventures in digital domain

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Boris' adventures in digital domain
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 01:16:12 -0700
Albert wrote:

Boris..

Things that have come out of Redmond, and my assessment of them:

~Micro$oft. The borg. All which is evil in the world, originated from him. Bill Gates = 666. They estimated that at say, $10/hour the average salary for a business person, at an average of 1 crash a day for Windoze, and at 30 minutes of work lost due to crash.. That's $5 per person per day, in the corporate world, translating to a little over $100 Million a day lost due to Redmond.

I'm no great MS fan, but I do have to say the assumptions in these kind of calculations that all those corp people (of which I was one for quite a while) are actually carrying out productive activities during most of the time they are 'working' are wildly naive and unsophisicated. Does time lost to computer malfunctions cut into high productiveity time or low? Depends on the person, their work and many other factors. I certainly had my share of crashes, but it had very little effect on my productivity. Also, anybody who runs under Windoze, particularly earlier versions, and loses 30 min of work to a crash is not very bright or a very slow learner. Is it possible that the evil in the world is largely a product of the hate everyone keeps spreading around? Save the world, stop hating and spreading hate. Not only that, but the quality of your own life will improve!

~Grundge. Popularizing not showering. 'nuff said.

Heard of dirt, heard of grunge, both sorts, what's grundge?

~Coffee. An addictive chemical that increases handshake and unsharpens pictures. It is actually a stealthfully created method to ruin the photography industry as a whole. I use FreeBSD, and all the other BSD's now.

Actually, the roots of the Seattle coffee 'thing' are in Berkeley, too. The people who started Starb*cks learned the business working for Mr. Peet, who started Peet's Coffee at Walnut & Vine in Berkeley. Late '60s, early 70s, can't remember now.

My only complaint, with uptimes of 3 or more years, I generally forget my password!

Again, no fan of MS, and I turn my computer off when not in use, but I have not had one crash since I bought my latest machine running XP back in November.

Moose