Re: [OM] Learning about the OM-2n, was: OM2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Learning about the OM-2n, was: OM2n
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:04:29 -0700
Thanks for the info straight from the 'horse's mouth'. There just have been a change in the coverage/sensitivity of the photocell(s) when they changed the curtain pattern to maintain the same averaging reading. The curtain patterns are quite different as you can see here <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/om2-curtains.shtml>. The old pattern was certainly not center weighted in the radially symetric way one would expect, being equally bright all the way to the edges horizontally, so it probably compensated for a nonlinear sensitivity in the sensor module. Since the change was likely made to solve a problem with exposure at speeds where part of the exposure was off the non random curtain pattern and partly off the evenly reflective film, they clearly didn't have a way to make OTF center-weighted at the time. According to Shipman, they solved that problem in 2S, 3, 4 series and OMPC bodies by creating the center weighting in the configuration of the secondary mirror.

Moose