Re: [OM] Star Trails

Subject: Re: [OM] Star Trails
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:04:38 -0300
on 9/06/2003 12:02, Matt BenDaniel at matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 10:19 06/09/2003 -0300, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
>> ...I understand that a professional standard requires both handheld light
>> metering and intuitive knowledge.
>
> Are there light meters than can accurately meter a scene or meter the sky in
> extremely dark nighttime conditions?
> Do such meters allow you to calculate aperture/duration when the duration may
> be 8 hours long?
> --
I don't know, Matt. I was hoping you might know. I judge (from my lay man
pint of view) a good exposure in this conditions when the color of the sky
rendered on film is similar to the one I recall, and when I can distinguish
on film the different colors and bright magnitude of the stars. I cannot
distiguish the latter with the accuracy I'd wish using my naked eye. In fact
I suffer from myopia since I was 9 and discovered when corrected, stars were
pinpoint sharp and saw the bars which supposedly existed where birds were
kept. I never watched through a telescope. How do you guess such exposures?
OTOH I studied astronomy when I was15 and am still very fond of this.
Unfortunately, Ars Longa Vita Brevis. There is a big gap between what I
understand and what I see. Did you read Umberto Eco L'Isola del Giorno
Prima?

Rgds,

Fernando.