[OM] Re: My new/old Zuiko-hauler

Subject: [OM] Re: My new/old Zuiko-hauler
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:20:28 -0700
>From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I refuse to install the Quicktime player on my machine.
>The free version nags you to purchase the upgrade EVERY time you play a
>video.

Yea, that's unfortunate. The trick is to set your computer clock forward a year
or so, install, set your clock back, then no nagware -- at least that works on
a Mac.

>It also is horrible about trying to take over the different file
>formats on your machine...

I think this is tit-for-tat. Microsoft is well known for doing the same thing!
If you re-install Windows Medai Player, it will grab all ".mov" files, too!

You really should blame the Windows design that depends on a central registry,
rather than QuickTime. No program ever "takes over" files on a Mac, because
file-program associations are on a per-file basis. Sometimes, Microsoft is not
so good at copying Apple... :-)

>puts programs into your
>system tray.

Well, it is supposed to be system-level software. But you're right -- it should
at least let you know what it is doing.

Anyway, for all its flaws, QuickTime is really the best cross-platform media
authoring system you can get for under $30. I'm not going to spend $300 or more
to do it in some other format! But thanks for your comments -- I'll pass them
on to Apple.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.