Re: [OM] Mirror Lockup

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror Lockup
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:14:39 -0700
Albert wrote:

I'm fairly curious why mirror lockup has been eliminated from quite a few cameras.

I don't know about other brands, but Oly eliminated it in the OM-2(n), then brought it back, in combination with aperture pre-fire, but activated by the self-timer, rather than a separeate lever, in the OM-2s, the OM-4 series, OMPC and OM2000. Leaving it out of the OM-3(Ti) was just a stupid mistake on their part, assuring that the 3 series would not have a place in astrophotography and similar scientific work.

From reading online about what effects the sharpness of a picture:

#1 Tripod
#2 Mirror slap (have you see the size of the mirror on a Pentax 67??)

Add #3, aperture prefire. Take a look at all the work Gary did on his test page to evaluate the difference in performance with and without aperture pre-fire, and even with vertical vs. horizontal shutters. The answer is clear, aperture prefire makes a real difference vs. mirror lock-up alone.

It seems that Tripod + mirror lockup + cable release = sharp pictures (assuming you do your part on the focusing)..

Even after adding aperture pre-fire to your equation, that's not what Oly says. Their instructions for all lenses from 85mm on up are: " Also, to prevent camera shake: When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press the shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release."

Why would they take out 2 of the 3 ingredients in most cameras? The mirror has to go up to take a picture, I can't really imagine adding a lever being that expensive for the benefit it provides.

Or am I wrong? I love my OM1n because it has mirror lockup, I'm very disappointed that the 3's and 4's don't..

The 4s do, see above, and it is more effective at reducing camera vibration, although less convienient to use (that 12 sec. delay slows things up sometimes.)