[OM] Hueys (was Re:Camera -- to abuse or not?)

Subject: [OM] Hueys (was Re:Camera -- to abuse or not?)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:36:25 EDT
Jerry wrote:
>To a Vietnam Vet to hear a Huey is to remember.  Nothing else sounds
>quite like them.

I've often wondered what that sound evokes in Vietnam vets.  I would bet it
sets off flashbacks for some.  Even to this Vietnam Era vet, it makes me think
of that war and that era.  My only Huey ride was during a forest fire near the
Alpine Lakes Wilderness.  We flew sleeping bags and a case of beer up to the
fire crew.  I got out, and was watching one guy chucking out the sleeping
bags, arcing them up higher and higher, until one hit the blades and was
shredded
with a very loud "whop!"  That got the pilot to yelling pretty good.  Scary
moment.  We then flew up to the top of the ridge looking down into the Snow
Lakes/Heart/Nada basin.  He set that big sucker down on a rock about 3 feet
wide
at 7,000 feet while we handed out the beer.

My only other helicopter ride was in a Coast Guard H52 around Oahu for my
orientation to working Search & Rescue.  THAT was cool beans.  But I hate
helicopters.  No wings to glide.  Nothing but vibrations (they feel as though
they
are trying to tear themselves apart).  Autogyrating is not for me, thank you
very much.  I've watched Coastie pilots practice that.  I'll take a big, slow,
noisy Herc with a hydraulic leak any day over a chopper.

A salute to ya, Jerry.

Chris wrote:
> You
> hear the beat when it is approaching and it has been used in many a
> military soundtrack.

Even when the helicopter featured isn't a Huey!  That's Hollywood (putting
silencers on revolvers, etc.).

Many surplus Hueys are being used for sheriffs departments & search & rescue
duty.

And those Huey engines live on in the unlimited hydroplanes!

Rich