[OM] Re: Shift Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift Lenses
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:24:36 +0100
Hi,

> > 83 deg at max shift vs the 84 deg specified for normal 24 mm lens. The
> > 35 shift lens using its shift capability can capture almost any
> > portion of the image that a 24mm lens would take.
>
>  Ah, that's a useful comparison -- I have a 24, so I can just put that on
> there and imagine what it would get me.

The way I understand this comparison of a 35mm shift to a 24mm is the
following: if you shift it all the way up and mark what you see, then shift it
all the way down and mark what you see, then the complete image covered by
those 2 marks will correspond to the image of a 24mm.  Is that correct ?

If this is the case, then you can compare to a 24mm, knowing you will only get
a part of the image you see through that lens.  (and id. for the 24mm shift and
a regular 18mm).  The 24mm will indeed be practical to check the perspective
correction you'll get.

Peter.