Re: [OM] OM-10 service question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 service question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:57:21 -0400
JH said:
When the mirror locks halfway, it may indicate dead batteries (that is where the mirror is supposed to lock). IF dead batteries are the only problem, shutter should fire and reset when new batteries are put in. If shutter does not reset with new batteries, then there are other problems. Mirror magnet may be oily so it cannot release mirror. Another mirror lock problem can be caused by a pesky little nylon block which is glued in, above the mirror magnet arm. This block acts as a bumper and when it come unglued it can become jammed in all the worst places.
Thanks, John. By watching the action of a working OM-10 with its bottom cover removed I verified that the problem is as you suggested, that the mirror magnet is not resetting the mirror lock. With the battery out, the working OM-10 behaves identically to the non-working OM-10. If I replace the battery in the working camera I can see the mirror lever come down and kick what I assume is the first curtain release lever. The non-working camera doesn't do that even when I use the batteries from the working camera.

It's now apparent to me that the mirror magnet is there strictly to prevent fully releasing the mirror and firing the shutter with a weak battery. Makes sense now.

Metering, battery check and self timer work OK so basic electrical connections are there. You didn't mention other electrical failure (switch, wiring, magnet windings) as a likely cause. I assume these things are rare?

Though pretty good cosmetically this camera isn't worth the expense of a CLA so I may get to see it's insides with the mirror cage removed. If I destroy it nothing lost. But I'll be sure to save the prism for an OM-1 which is showing some discoloration in spots.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA