[OM] FW: Angles of view calculations

Subject: [OM] FW: Angles of view calculations
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 14:26:16 -0400
Tim asked:
Ok math experts out there, how can you calculate the angle of view across the width of the frame for any given lens... using the angle across the diagonal as a reference <snip>

Hi Tim,
Try this instead. Go to this website and download the free "f/calc" utility. It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and as freeware for Palm OS. This is a real handy and easy to use tool for calculating lots of photograpy related stuff. Angle of view vertically, diagonally and horizontally given focal length and film format is just one of its calculation tricks.

I think someone on the list probably pointed this out to me in the past but I don't remember who. Anyhow, I'm returning the favor. Try it. You'll like it.

<http://www.tangentsoft.net/>

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA