Re: [OM] Help needed for Om-4

Subject: Re: [OM] Help needed for Om-4
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:27:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Bolty wrote:

> I am hoping someone might be able to help me! I am having problems with the
> view finder in the OM-4. It seems as if something has seperated and moved or
> warped inside the viewfinder and now looks like it has condensation inside it.
> The build up of condensation and the warping effect when looking through (So
> when you look through the view finder your eye has to be dead centre to see
> even anything remotely sharp in the split microprism and everything else is
> blurred so that it is impossible to see what is in focus in the frame and
> read the display at the bottom of the frame!) making  it impossible to use
> and focus correctly. It is not the dioptic adjustment because I have gone
> through the whole range of its adjustments. There was no problem when I last
> used it but it has always had soft edges where it looks as if the first
> piece of glass you look through in the view finder has been glued into place.
> You can actually see little bits of clear glue around the edge of the view
> finder. Would it be any easy job to be able to get inside the camera to the
> view finder and try and rectify the problem (and if so does anyone have a
> link to where there would be a manual for repair) or is it something that
> needs to be looked at by a qualifed technicion???

It's possible the first element in the eyepiece has come loose from its
frame.  The evidence of glue around the edge could indicate that it was
already repaired at least once.  Luckily the eyepiece on an OM-4 can be
completely disassembled for servicing.  You can find the exploded parts
diagram on my web site here:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/OM-4_exploded.pdf
The last page contains the diagram for the eyepiece.  If you're technically
inclined and have a good assortment of tools, it's not too difficult to do
this repair.  You will of course need to remove the top and then pull the
eyepiece out, so if you're not comfortable doing that, then leave it to a
qualified technician.
                                -mark