Re: [OM] Zuiko 600/6.5, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 600/6.5, anyone?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:30:14 -0700
Color fringing??? - Most mirror lenses use first surface mirrors - a
mirror won't cause dispersion. I don't think I've heard of the corrector
lens causing dispersion but there normally isn't any other glass to
correct any negative affects it creates. I've never noticed any fringing
with the Vivitar S1 mirrors although they have plenty of glass in the
path.

The biggest problem I have with the mirrors is getting a sharp focus.
The doughnuts can prevent me from taking a shot but the doughnuts can
normally be seen in the viewfinder.

Vibration doesn't seem any worse with the Zuiko 600 than with the
Vivitar  S1 800 f11. I haven't tried shooting the Z600 in the wind
though. With the super narrow angle of view the super telephoto's have
the slightest angle change will dramatically move the image. I've seen
some pictures that other people have taken without tripods that were
quite good, but I sure can't do that.

Heat waves are much more noticeable with the super telephotos. I had to
stop shooting one beautiful spring day over in the baylands because the
heat waves were causing the image to dance. The temperature wasn't that
high, there must have been some air interaction with the plentiful cool
water.

It would be nice if the Zuiko 600 were an f5.6 (split image finder
specified cutoff) but it seems to be workable for me. The biggest
problem is the weight and size which the mirrors easily solve but they
have their own significant problems. I don't see any advantage to IF but
there are times AF would sure help (typo?). A smaller lighter Zuiko 600
f5.6 is what seems most important to me --- the Tamron 400 with 1.4x
teleconverter accomplishes that very well and has a few ease of use
improvements (lens rotates while mounted to tripod, click stop focus
setting, helical focusing).

-jeff