Re: [OM] Zuiko 600/6.5, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 600/6.5, anyone?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:30:18 -0700
You may have more muscles than I do ...  but I prefer the Tamron 400mm
f4 with a 1.4x extender. The Z 600mm seems to be a nice lens but
focusing in portrait mode with the rack and pinion is pretty odd and
after carrying it while wandering around the nearby baylands for two or
three hours it made my arm ache so much I tend to grab almost anything
before grabbing it. The Tamron with the 1.4x gives a 560mm f5.6 and
seems much easier to focus than the difference in numbers would imply.

http://www.jeff-keller.com/butterfly/monarch.htm shows a scan of a
picture I took using the Tamron 400. The second image is just a
magnified segment of the first. I'm very happy with the Tamron but in
the interest of science I'll have to take more lenses when I go back to
Pacific Grove next year!

If one of your arms is shorter than the other or you would like one of
them to be longer than the other I would strongly recommend getting the
Z 600 and carrying it around for eight hours or so. The lens hood on the
Z 600 is better than the lens hood on the Tamron 400.

-jeff