[OM] Calculating DoF question

Subject: [OM] Calculating DoF question
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:06:29 +0800
Someone said, the larger the format, the shallower the DoF. I'm not sure, but I'll take all your words for it.. That's probably why Large Format often shoots at F64, while I've yet to pass F16...

OK, here's my question. I'm sure someone will give me the magical formula on how to calculate DoF equivalence..

If I have an f3.5 for a 6x7 format, what's that equal to in 35mm for the same mm lens? What about a 6x9 format? How do I calculate that? Let's say a 50mm lens in 35mm.. That's about equal to an 80mm lens in 6x6, and about 100mm in 6x7.

Suppose I have a 80 f2.8 in 6x6 format, or a 100mm f3.5 in 6x7. What's that equal to in 35mm?

Thanks.
Albert