[OM] best deals have been right here on the Oly page

Subject: [OM] best deals have been right here on the Oly page
From: "danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:50:28 -1000
Aloha dan from Dan
I got started on this knee jerk reaction to eBay because of there goal
of getting 10 0n the coming years, not counting 3.80sing Paypal if
you're the seller, now eBay being the owner.
I would agree that it's hard to get ahead of the big guy in many ways so
it will have to be a Microsoft "cut em down at the knees" eventually by
the Feds?
The $35 million in a drop in the bucket for eBay, considering the make
1.15 million per day!
I admit eBay for Oly gear is (dam!) #1
Picture when Uncle Sam starts up there %!
Could it become a cyber ghost town, back to the local photo store?
The best deals have been right here on the Oly page and it will be here
long after eBay become another Kmart. Thanks for dmoz.org
Dan from Maui

 Unfortunately, I don't think so. auctions.yahoo.com has been around for
years as well, and used to be a lot bigger than it is now -- but it's
fading
away, because everyone's on ebay. The problem is that in this sort of
thing,
the bigger you are the easier it is to grow, and small sites are almost
certainly doomed to stay small. If I'm buying something, I don't have
the
time to look through them all given the tiny chance of finding what I'm
looking for, and if I want to sell something, I'm not going to sell it
somewhere tiny where there's unlikely to be any bidders meaning the
price I
get will be lower than it could.

 If you want to expand your list, by the way, look on the 'auctions'
section
of dmoz.org where there's 163 more..  I'd be curious as to what you find
if
you do have the dedication to plough through the rest of them.

 The one advantage of the tiny places, to be fair, is that if you _can_
find
something on them that you want, you have a good chance of getting a
deal
because it's much more unlikely there'll be anybody bidding against you.

 -- dan