Re: [OM] XA question - now shutter ;)

Subject: Re: [OM] XA question - now shutter ;)
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:02:14 -0500
If the back cover is open, the camera is set for "film loading",
limiting the maximum exposure time.  Check the exposure with the back
closed -- it should be much longer.  To test with the back open, you'll
need to close the switch on top between the release button and the film
counter.  You can either move both black wires of the "back switch" to
the same contact, or simply press the arm for the film counter in with
something to make the camera think the back is closed.

For difficulty with the release, I would suspect a problem with the
components in the switch -- there may be some corrosion (you did note
that the camera had been wet, didn't you?), or the "fingers" of the
release may be bent.  (Also note that the round brass washer that is
(was?) glued to the plate next to the release button is vital -- if it's
missing, the release will be very unpredictable once the top cover and
red release button cover are installed.)

>From top to bottom in order of disassembly of the release button you
have:
1. screw
2. black plastic release frame
3. brass "fingers"
4. floating brass plate w/wire attached
5. round brass spacer
6. grey conductive rubber pad (this may have become stiff and hard -- if
so, replace)
7. brass contact plate, which should be glued to the film counter frame,
with wire attached.

If you disassemble these, clean each thoroughly, and be sure that the
"fingers" are flat and straight.  To reassemble, I usually use a very
small screwdriver or end of a paper clip to hold all the components in
place, then carefully remove it to insert the screw.

When you reattach the red plate over the release button, be sure to but
glue ONLY between the black plastic release frame and the corresponding
raised portion of the underside of the red plate -- DO NOT get glue on
the top of the screw, or between the screw and the black release frame.
The head of the screw must "float" between the red plate and the black
release frame.