Re: [OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 06:52:10 -0400
I'm not sure what's special about a Mac to do all those things. I do them
all the time on the Dell Windows XP machine. P4-2.66, 512MB, Audigy 2, etc.
etc., $600. Beat that with a Mac :)  I reboot when I make a major change,
maybe every 2-3 months.

Oh yeah, dual monitor support, 17" LCD Panel and 21" CRT.  Very useful.

Especially when I run VMWare and have both RedHat and Mandrake running in a
Windows under XP.

Tom
Coul this BE more off-topic.

From: "Chris Barker" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jan's choice has my vote.  I have discovered that I can scan with my
Canoscan FS4000 in Vuescan, while editing images as they get saved by
Vuescan.  I did not realise how wonderful it was to multitask so easily.

However, I have a SCSI card which, I think, gives my G4 Mac hassle and
causes permananent sleeps.

Chris

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 20:03 Europe/London, Jan Steinman wrote:

> But if you want to run popular applications (Word, Excel, Internet
> Explorer, Photoshop, etc.) AND Unix at the same time, without
> re-booting, you'll have to get a Mac. It works beautifully. I've got
> 20 applications open, and had them open for over a week, including a
> Unix terminal window and numerous Unix servers. It never crashes:
>
>   www:/Users/jan: uptime
>   11:57AM  up 115 days, 20:16, 3 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>
> The last time my server was down was to install an OS update.

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker