[OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????

Subject: [OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:44:26 -0700
>From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:03:09 -0700
>Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Big "con": you can't run ANY Windows applications...
> > it gets tedious, booting back and forth from Linux (for
> > playing and learning) and Windows (to do "real" work)...
>
>Opinions differ. I use Linux as my only OS on both my laptop, desktop
>and whatever else. According to your statement, then, I do not do
>"real work"....I beg to differ!

I'm certain you are even more an "outlier" than Mac users, Thomas! But I was
speaking specifically to what I perceived were the needs of
<dolphans1@xxxxxxx>, who identified himself as not knowing much about Linux.

I'm glad you can do "real work" under Linux. What are you using for word
processing, drawing, and spreadsheets? The Sun Suite?

The fact remains that probably 990f those who would "try out" Linux would
re-boot into Windows to use Word, Excel, Outlook, Explorer, etc.

>Anyways, there are more appropriate forums for bashing eachothers
>operating systems...

Huh? I wasn't "bashing" anything. You must admit, you are a rather special
case, Thomas, and perhaps overly sensitized by being a minority. But I suppose
if I made a joke about a armless, legless man flying over third base, an
armless, legless man would step up to take offense.

I hope Windows users who are considering using Linux found my posting helpful,
and that all the other die-hard Linux users recognized that it wasn't intended
for them.

One can also do "real work" on an abacus. My apologies in advance if I've
offended any abacus users. :-)
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.