Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:36:12 -0500
Rich:

i have both lenses and find myself going for the 135/4.5 most often.  there
will be several here that will tell you to get the 90/2.  it is a good
choice for general macro, but the working dist. on the 135/4.5 always amazes
me.  i usually find myself taking a half a step BACK when using this lens.

i think the real decision will depend on your subject matter.  general
flowers, bugs, etc is what the 135/4.5 is made for, but it is just a bit shy
of .5x with Auto Tube.  i reallt like the AT, but have found myself wanting
a bellows for the integral focusing rail/stage and for the ability to
reverse lenses.  the 80/4 does see some use - especially with the f=170mm
lens attached.  the great close-ups of flowers it produces can be stunning!

i personally like the 135/4.5, but it is a bit slow for shooting around with
film slower than ISO 400.  however, i don't think you'll be disapponted with
the lens.  it will easily replace the need for your 50/3.5, unless you use
that lens for general photography.  Also, with the 80/4, you will be quite
close to the subjects - especially at 1:1!

Bob

<snip>

I am currently considering the purchase of a macro lens to use with the auto
extension tube, focusing rail and stage, and tripod or with the auto
bellows. I seem to be leaning towards the 135mm f4.5.  The distance from
lens to subject is an import factor for me due to medical problems
(arthritic knees and ankles) .  Any advice on the advantages and/or
disadvantages of, or a comparison of the 135mm f4.5 and the 80mm f4 would be
greatly appreciated. What would be the price ranges for these lenses?  Does
anyone know of one for sale? I currently have a 50mm f3.5 macro and have
been quite pleased with it's results. What other options should I consider?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rich.