Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:02:57 -0700
Both the 80 and the 135 f4.5 had been selling in the $250 to $300 range.
A couple months ago Adorama had several 135 f4.5 that they sold for $150
to $200.

The 135 f4.5 on the auto tube is very easy to use in the field. DOF is
pretty thin though. The lens can be easily used as a normal telephoto.
With a T10 screwed on to the front of it, swaying branches and flowers
can be frozen though the lighting has the "deer in the headlights"
perspective. Holding a T series connected by a cord away from the camera
can give a little better lighting. The hood can be hard to find but
stores nicely reversed over the lens (if my memory hasn't failed).

Since the 80mm covers 0.5x to about 1.2x on the telescopic auto tube
without the additional lens, I almost always grab the 135mm instead of
the 80. If I were planning on going after small creatures then I would
take the 80mm but the 135mm is probably better suited to flowers and
things that I might come across, so it gets used more often.

The 38mm gives pictures that look like they came from a microscope. My
hat's off to those who can get a good picture of a living bug in the
field using it. It isn't for snap shots.

-jeff