Re: [OM] lens hood for 28/2 and 28/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] lens hood for 28/2 and 28/2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:04:16 -0700
Such a list would certainly be useful, but I don't know of one. On the other hand, I think it's fair to assume that Oly only produced different hoods when it was actually necessary for optimum performance. Several of the hoods were made to cover more than one lens. There are several such combos. Particularly significant are the 85/2-100/2.8 hood which later was extended to the 40/2 and the clamp-on hood for the 50/1.8/1.4 and 35/2.8 which later worked for the 50/1.2 (without fitting reversed) and the 35-70/3.5-4.5. I think their track record suggests that where one hood would work properly for multiple lenses, they said so, rather than marketing a new model number for the new lens.

In addition to the eSIF list of hood compatabilities, there is this reference <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/zuiko-lens-hoods.txt>.

A list of internal diameter and overall length of Oly hoods would be useful at least for adapting generic hoods where the proper hoods are really hard to find. Rear lens nodes are quite easy to find, being at the focal length forward from the film plane when focused at infinity, but determining front nodes seems trickier and I've neve seen the info published.

Of course adding to the distance from the front node to the front diameter of the hood with a filter, etc. can lead to vignetting. Most hoods above 21mm seem to allow for one normal thickness filter without trouble.

Moose

tOM Trottier wrote:

Is there a list anywhere which lists
- how far behind the filter threads the front nodal point is
- how deep hoods are
- how wide hoods are

Then it would be easy to determine which hoods will work with which lenses.

Does filter thickness, or number of filters, affect this ?

tOM

On Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 1:32