Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 17:43:56 -0700
I'm with Wayne on this one. I think size and weight are more important than numbers. I go through this exercise fairly often and the result varies depending on where I'm going, how I'm traveling, what film I'm going to use, what I expect to photograph, expected weather, etc.

Maine in Summer, took the Tokina 35-200/3.5-4.5 and Vivitar Series 1 19-35/3.5-4.5. I also took along a 'Z' 21/3.5, 'cause I wasn't sure yet about the Vivitar, but the 2 lens kit would have been fine. Doing it again, I would drop the 21mm and add the 50/1.4 with Vivitar MacroTeleconverter (I didn't have the Viv. then). Maybe with f1.4 I might have gotten a shot of the mother Moose and her 2 kids eating and then gamboling at dusk.

Yosemite in uncertain weather, I went out for the day with Tamron 35-105/2.8, 'Z' 28/2 and 50/1.4 with 400 & 800 film. The Maine set up would have been hopeless in the rain and low, heavy overcast. The kit I took worked very well.

Casual stroll with picture taking not primary, I like the 35-70/3.5-4.5 on an OMPC. Someone asked about this lens. I think it is one of the great classics of the Zuiko line, tiny, almost jewel-like, yet an excellent lens with a useful close-up capability. It's like going back to their roots with the tiny, wonderful lenses that came out with the OM-1. The 35-70/3.6 may be slightly the better lens and I used one as my main lens for years, but I don't think I've used it since I got a 3.5-4.5, the difference in size and weight is so great. If I'm going with something bigger, I go for more range. I do understand that some people with big fingers/hands find this lens hard to use. I wear size large gloves, but have relatively slim fingers and find it easy to use.

Another kit I've been using lately is the Tamron Asp IF 28-200/3.5-5.6 and 50/1.4 with Vivitar MacroTeleconverter, with maybe a tiny super-wide tucked away somewhere. In reasonable weather with reasonable film speed, that will do almost anything. With Supra 800, it even worked with quite an overcast day.

I would always take along either the hiking stick/monopod or the Velbon 343 tripod.

Moose

Wayne Culberson wrote:

Given _lightweight travel_ criteria, i.e. one body, 2 lenses, period. What
would you take?

Mike
But the problem is that for "lightweight travel" you are talking two things
that are quite different, that is number of lenses and weight of lenses.