Re: [OM] Motor Drive 2 - What to look out for

Subject: Re: [OM] Motor Drive 2 - What to look out for
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 10:54:28 +0100
Don't do the Varta 9v trick would be my advice! The cells are a very awkward
shape, meaning that you can't pack the can efficiently, and end up with a
low - capacity pack. I was really not happy with the one I did, so it got a
second rebuild.
!/3AA NiMh at 250mAh are available easily. I got mine from
www.eurobatteries.com at GBP1.59 each . The advantage is  that 13 cells will
fit in the can, giving a useful increase in both voltage and capacity over
the standard pack. As for charging, the Oly charger becomes effectively a
trickle charger in this instance (1/10 th capacity), so no worries. My
rebuild to this spec has been very successful, in both performance from full
charge and charge retention.
Alternatively, an OEM Oly replacement NiCd pack is available at 125GBP plus
shipping  in the UK. If that's too much (it was for me!) contact Axess
international (sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), who can supply a perfect
replacement as drawing number SP2470. This will take about 4 weeks to
deliver, but comes out at GBP23.45 plus VAT and carriage (about 250f the
Oly price all - in) . This is one of their standard 250mAh NiCd packs of
1/3A cells, and the drawing number is for the modification to fit the
control pack. Mine arrived last week, and fits the control pack perfectly.
In addition, they are friendly and helpful, and will build anything to order
if you supply a drawing. The pack is built to at least the same standard and
finish as the OEM.
As you can tell, I now have two control packs with 250mAh batteries, one
NiCd 12 cell and one NiMh 13 cell. I'm continuing to test the relative
performance.
Full instructions for disassembly / reassembly of the pack are on the FAQ.
It's really not hard. In my view, a dead Control Pack battery is about the
best thing you can get when buying, as it's a really effective bargaining
point, but costs little to fix.

BTW, does anyone know what the nominal capacity of the OEM Oly pack is?
Logically it should have increased over the years as NiCd densities got
better, but there is no mention of it in the documentation I can find, nor
of the charge - time increase that would result.

Julian
Cambs, UK