[OM] What color is a black cat?

Subject: [OM] What color is a black cat?
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:34:38 -0400
There is another way to look at it. Images are data. If the most important
features (as perceived by the photographer) are clipped in the shadows, then
the viewer will never see much detail in those features. It is the
photographer's choice to identify what should be midtone. That's part of the
zone approach.

Question: Where is a black cat most mysterious?
Answer: In a dark place.

Question: What color is a black cat in bright sunlight?
Answer: Gray.

Question: Where are the details of a black cat most revealed?
Answer: In bright sunlight.

Question: What's more important, mystery or completeness?
Answer: It's the photographer's choice.

Another Question: What color is the full moon (uneclipsed)?
Answer: It is the color of a dark charcoal briquet.

Matt

--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx