Re: [OM] Eclipse Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Eclipse Photography
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:20:35 -0400
Do not use the doubler.

I assume that you do not have a tracking telescope mount.

For a relatively light total lunar eclipse at totality, on ISO 100 film, you
need to expose for about 120 seconds at f/16. However, at 1000mm the maximum
length of the exposure that you can take without tracking is only about 0.5
seconds. Longer than that makes the image blurred. A 120 second image would be
hopelessly blurred.

If you shoot 500mm f/8 untracked, then your exposure (at totality) should be
about 1 second on ISO 1600 film, and it will not be blurry.

If it were clear in New England tonight, I would be using my 875mm F7 telescope
on a tracking mount with ISO 200 film for 6 seconds.

It turns out that a d*g*t*l camera looking into the eyepiece of a tracking
telescope is a very good method for lunar eclipses, because you can use shorter
exposures.

Matt

--
Matt BenDaniel