[OM] Which adapter to use a Zuiko 24-shift on a mam*ya 645]

Subject: [OM] Which adapter to use a Zuiko 24-shift on a mam*ya 645]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 13:22:37 -0700
 This is the message I sent yesterday that bounced.

According to Walt, the 135/4.5 has a large image circle that will cover 6x9cm. Walt he didn't test was the quality of the image outside of the 35mm frame, which may deteriorate as on goes farther out. It is a possible candidate for trying out, since the additional 65mm of minimum extention means there is room for an adapter between lens and body. However, the focusing helicoid only covers a short range for find focusing, so any adapter would need to provide rough focusing adjustment, like the 65-166 or bellows do on Oly bodies.

Moose

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:33:43 -0500
From: "Walt Wayman" Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikos and 6x9 (Was Siren Song)

It's a little sad that some of us, myself included, since Olympus has pulled
the plug on the OM system now are casting about for other ways to use our
lenses, whether with MF or digital.  Anyway, I went back to the drawing board
-- actually, the tripod-mounted 6x9 Century Graphic -- with some more lenses to
see just how much they would cover.  I didn't try every lens, but I think I
covered a fairly representative sample, and here are the results.

The 35/2.8 shift will cover 6x6, but would vignette at 6x7, and would really
vignette at 6x9.  Plus, even at 6x6, the shift would be pretty much useless
because of the small image circle.  One advantage, though, is you wouldn't have
to use a Rube Goldberg device to stop it down.

The only lens I found that actually covers a full 6x9 at infinity is the
135/4.5 Macro, and it does the job corner to corner, which means it has an
image circle of at least 11.5 cm.  I was surprised, to say the least.  Nothing
else came close.

Here's how some others fared (lens + approximate image circle):

17/3.7 Tamron, 6 cm
21/2 Zuiko, 5 cm
28/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena, 6 cm
35/2 Zuiko, 5 cm
50/1.4 Zuiko, 5 cm
50/3.5 Zuiko Macro, 5 cm
80/4 Zuiko Macro, 6 cm (nearly covers 6x7 at 6 in. or less from subject, so it could be used for macro work)
100/2 Zuiko, 7 cm
135/2.8 Zuiko, 7 cm
180/2.8 Zuiko, 7 cm
300/4.5 Zuiko, 6 cm

I didn't try any of the longer lenses, such as the 400 or 500 Zuikos, or the
Tamron 300/2.8 (too heavy to hold with one hand while fiddling with the
camera).  The only zoom I tried was the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko, and it produced a 6 cm
circle at all focal lengths.

End of story.

Walt

Matt BenDaniel wrote:

BTW...I think there may be a few OM lenses that will work on MF cameras. For
example, the 135/4.5 needs about 65mm of extension (in addition to 46mm flange
back) to reach infinity focus. I'm not sure what the 135/4.5's image circle is,
but I'd guess you could use it on most MF cameras, if you found some safe way
to mount it. If the rearward protrusion of any lens interferes with the reflex
mirror, then you have to lock up the mirror to avoid damage. Then how do you
focus?