Re: [OM] New kids (4 of them) on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New kids (4 of them) on the block
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:51:55 -0700

>Where was Mum?

Brian, Mum has her work cut out for her feeding the crew so she comes
and goes. The young'uns are mostly on their own. I noticed that she
seems to admonish them to stay  in the den but about 10 minutes after
she leaves out pop the heads and soon they are playing around. When an
eagle (or photographer) flies by they dive for cover.

>Great pictures. It looks like you got the focus almost dead center!
>
>Which focus screen did you use? Did you use a varimagni to get a better
>focus?
>
>I've had a pretty high reject rate because I don't get the focus right
>when using the slow mirror lenses. My best results seem to be with the
>1-8 but it doesn't make a good general purpose screen. TIA
>
>- -jeff

I had a very high reject rate and the ones I posted weren't great due to
subject movement and camera shake. I used a 2-4 screen and spent time
focusing on the grass near the den while waiting. Even with the 2-4 the
poor light and f16 effective lens made it very difficult. I went back on
monday with the 300/4.5 + 2x-a and monopod and got closer. the sun was
out and it was much easier to focus. Hopefully the results will be
better. Tonight I'll go out and finish up the roll.

>Nice shots.  Cute little guys/gals.  There goes the bunny population.  You
>have heard of the old wild bunny huntin' days in the islands, right?  Jeeps,
>shotguns, beer.  Aye.
>
>Rich

No danger to the rabbit population. In fact the foxes have taken over
part of this rabbit warren and are sharing with the skeptical rightful
tenants.
Yes, I was around during those days. One of the mainland "hunters" even
managed to bag my truck with me in it despite the fact that my truck was
green and didn't have ears but that's a long story :>) Needless to say
I'm not sorry to see those hunting days over.

mike