Re: [OM] Better focus with varimagni (was: Re: New kids (4 of them) on t

Subject: Re: [OM] Better focus with varimagni (was: Re: New kids (4 of them) on the block)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:02:35 -0700
My experience with the varimagni finder is limited because I don't carry
it with me very often. I found that with fairly long and slow telephoto
lenses it was much easier to tell when the photo snapped into focus if
the varimagnifier was set at 2.5x. I was using it with a 1-8 screen and
probably a 1-4. The lenses I was using it with, were too slow to use
split image range finders or microprisms. I wouldn't think subject
distance would change how well the varimagni finder works.

If you are using a body with a variable diopter viewfinder that isn't
adjusted correctly, the magnification might make it harder to get the
image in focus. I've experimented with the diopter setting but usually
end up counting clicks, positioning it in the middle.

"making it more difficult and therefore more precise" is basically
accurate but with the slow telephotos almost everything looked
reasonably sharp. There was very little "snap" in and out of focus.

Like you, I keep hoping someone will come up with a great suggestion ...

-jeff