Re: [OM] OT: Smelly Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Smelly Camera
From: John and Julie Ockman <jrockman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 10:50:48 -0400

cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Greetings All,
 It gives off a faint but
> noticable "warmed/melted plastic" odor after each flash.
> Is this a sign of impending death of the camera? Any
> chance of exploding flash tube?
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie Geilfuss

I have never seen any evidence of exploding flash tubes, but I have seen
much evidence of serious damage to cameras such as your wife's. I even
had one start smoking on me, and I aint talking cigars,cigarettes,
pipes, or that wacky tobaccy. Seems one or two AA or AAA batteries can
produce enough current to get camera/flash circuitry quite hot-enough to
melt plastic. Time for the dumpster for that camera I'm afraid.

Regards,
John