Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200 2.8 LD - fanged one!

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200 2.8 LD - fanged one!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 00:24:46 -0700
A spectacular deal indeed, congrats! It's a great lens. Threre have been various posts about using the Oly mount for the 300/4.5 and 65-116 on this Tamron by removing the interior index bump and removing the interior padding. I haven't tried any, since I have the original mount with mine.The latest was from Jeff Keller in March:

"The Olympus tripod mount can be modified to work adequately with the Tamron 80-200 f2.8. The little bump inside the mounting ring has to be removed and the hole the ring tightening screw passes through needs to be enlarged away from the lens. It's not perfect but seems to work pretty well. Takes about 5-10 minutes grinding with a dremel.
The Tamron tube is slightly larger than the Olympus so when the Olympus tripod
mount is put on the Tamron, there is about an 1/8 inch gap left open where the
ring tightens around the tube. It would probably be best to get a longer screw
to tighten the ring closed.

-jeff"

The mounts are still available new. In the US, John has them at <zuiko.com> for
$22 and I seem to recall a post about availability in Europe recently

Moose

Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

WooHoo!

And a tripod mount - someone had an alternative to the (missing) original?