Re: [OM] Zoom Slips

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom Slips
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:44:04 -0600
> From an ebayer I just received a used Sigma APO Zoom 1:4.5~5.6
> f=75~300mm MC lens for OM. Optically and cosmetically it is great.
> However, the zoom slips too easily. If I tilt the lens at 60 degrees,
> the zoom will collapse all the way under gravity. Is that easy to
> fix, or should I ask for a return?

 The good fix is to work out where the adjustment screws are and tighten
them (see 'hazy 65-200' thread) -- as a temporary fix, try putting a strip
of electrical tape along the long axis of the body inside the sliding
section. That 'enlarges' the body enough that the sliding bit should now
have enough friction to stay put. If one strip doesn't do it, try two; if
one strip's too thick, try scotch tape or something thinner. Just make sure
it's nothing with glue that's too enthusiastic..

 -- dan