Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of spam

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of spam
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:08:45 -0700
The ISP's are the ones who bear a real cost in the fight with spam anyway.
Although my time costs me something, reading the subject lines and sender
names and deleting the messages manually, that isn't too bad a price to get
the gems of wisdom from this list and others <g>. But if I had to buy bigger
servers and storage drives to store all those millions of copies, and if my
bandwidth were choked with useless messages (kind of a slow-motion Denial of
Service attack, really) then even companies such as AOL and MS will band
together to root out the problem... of course MS is part of the problem as
well as the solution, with the poor security of some of their software. But
I hope the problem has reached the level of critical annoyance where legal
strictures and technical defenses as well as popular cultural disgust will
push back hard enough to make a difference. We'll see...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...