Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of spam

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of spam
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:23:51 -0400
Might be a problem getting a miscreant from the far reaches of
Outer Mongolia, but, for instance, a spammer in Florida or
California can be indicted and extradited just like for any other
felony.  Since spamming is a crime in Virginia, no matter where
you do it from, they can come getcha anywhere in the U.S. AND in
any country that has an extradition treaty with the U.S.

I'm sure there'll be lots of legal problems, but these cases will
be hellaciously expensive to defend.  And with the growing
popularity of spammers, if you were one, would you want to be
facing a jury of 12 angry e-mail users?

Of course, it may all amount to nothing, just more political hot
air and smoke-blowing.

Walt